THE NATUROPATHIC APPROACH
PMS is usually associated with a high ratio of estrogen to progesterone. Although both hormones decline dramatically leading up to your period, if you have relatively more circulating estrogen than progesterone, you’re probably going to have an unpleasant week or so. We’ll address this from several angles.
- For most conditions, I start with what you eat. I recommend a high fiber (fruits and veggies), low sugar, and low refined carbohydrate diet. I also have an anti-estrogenic diet plan if you have a very high estrogen to progesterone ratio.
- Exercise is also very important: studies show that women who exercise experience significantly fewer PMS symptoms.
- Next, we’ll want to make sure your thyroid is balanced. Your hormones are all interconnected.
- We’ll support your liver and your gut, probably at the same time. You may have high levels of estrogen because “bad” bacteria in your gut keeps it from getting eliminated, because a backed up liver that can’t do its job properly, or a combination of both. At this stage there are also some nutritional supplements we can add in to assist with estrogen elimination, while we’re getting your gut and your liver back in shape.
- In the meantime, to treat the symptoms:
- We’ll add in good oils (which function very much like Advil and ibuprofen, but without suppression) in order to decrease inflammation. Many women may also find that acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, or massage are very helpful for this.
- Certain vitamins and nutritional supplements can help loosen muscles, regulate hormones and bowels, and decrease fluid retention.
- A number of botanical medications work wonders for hormone balancing.
- A well-chosen homeopathic remedy can sometimes improve all of the symptoms at once!
- Neurotransmitter balancing may be necessary for women who experience severe mood symptoms or insomnia.
- On extremely rare occasions, I may prescribe bioidentical hormones for PMS and cramping. Most of the time this isn’t necessary but it will get the job done, and with far fewer side effects than those sometimes encountered with certain birth control pills.
Are you ready to reclaim a week or two out of every month of your life? Make an appointment today!
MY SUITE OF SUPPLEMENTS FOR HORMONE BALANCING
Here are a few of the supplements I prescribe most often to help with hormone balancing, depending on the cause. Click on each product for a description and dosing recommendation.